The La Jolla Cove 10 Mile Relay is one of the most anticipated and enjoyable open water swim events of the year.
Organize a team of up to 5 swimmers (or swim it solo), give your team a cool name and enjoy the camaraderie of fellow swimmers and the spirit of swimming with this unique event and charity fundraiser.
- Date: Sunday, September 24, 2017
- Time: 7:00AM start (please arrive early to allow time for parking, number marking, etc)
- Location: La Jolla Cove
- Cost: $65 per team swimmer; $80 per solo swimmer
- Swag: Swim caps, long sleeve race t-shirt, refreshments and post-race snack, give-aways from local merchants, and more
More details: This is a 10 mile relay swim race (or for the solo swimmers, simply a 10 mile swim). Teams of up to 5 swimmers will swim a total of 10 miles, presumably 2 miles each. Teams with fewer than 5 swimmers must also complete the full 10 miles.
- Swimmers must swim at least 1 mile before being relieved by the next swimmer at the water's edge. Any swimmer may swim 2 or more miles for their team.
- Teams may divide up the laps and the order of the swim any way they wish. Two swimmers from the same team cannot swim at the same time and count that as multiple laps.
- The hand-off between team members is via a hand-slap. The start time of the next swimmer is the same as the finish time of the previous swimmer. The finishing lap swimmer is responsible for communication of start and finish of the lap.
- Timekeepers will record lap times for each swimmer and team. Information will be posted on the wall behind the lifeguard station.
- The course is a triangular ~1 mile lap around marked buoys.
- Swimmers may wear wetsuits, fins, masks, and snorkels, but will only be considered for the combined age category team awards and not eligible for Top Male, Top Female, or Solo Team category awards.
- For teams with less than 5 members, the total combined age category will be the average age of your members times 5.
- Parking is free on the surrounding streets. Please allow ample time to find a spot, as it will get crowded. Click here for a map and directions.
Please note: This event is for experienced ocean swimmers who are prepared for a swim of 2 x 1 mile in open ocean, “rough water” conditions. We cannot guarantee the safety of swimmers, especially those who are unprepared. Each swimmer must present a signed Release of Liability when they check in on September 24th to be eligible to swim.